Madelyn Smoak « Back to Studio ArtistsMetalsmith, Jeweler
Location: Studio 3-102
Phone: (919) 286-0036
Madelyn Smoak is an award-winning jeweler and metalsmith who has been invovled in art and fine crafts for more than thirty years. Her work embraces all things metal from crowns to wall pieces to jewelry using silver, brass, copper, and found objects. Past bodies of work have centered around fiber, paper collage and artists’ books.
Her work has been shown in regional galleries such as Somerhill Gallery, Urban Artifacts and Bodycraft. Recently, she was chosen for a solo show by Judy Chicago. Her work has also been shown at the Durham Art Guild and is featured at Craven-Allen Gallery on Broad Street.
Selected shows and awards:
- May 10-July 13 2013- “Steamworks: Art, Stories and Adornments. Invitational show, Ackland Museum of Art Store
- April 30, 2013 -Juried Auction, Art for Auction Fundraiser, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC
- February 2013- “Bound” juried by Cora Rosevear, Associate Curator, MoMA, online exhibition and catalog, NYC
- 2012 Juried into Metalsmith magazine’s Exhibition in Print, Juror: Valerie Steele, Director and Chief Curator of the The Museum of the Fashion Institute Technology, New York City. This show, “Gothic Jewelry: Sinister Pleasures”, will be presented at SOFA Chicago 2012 in November 2012 and the Metal Museum, Memphis, TN soon after.
- May 18-July 21, 2012 – Kinsey Institute Juried Show, Grunwald Gallery of Art, Bloomington, Indiana
- April 30, 2012 -Juried Auction, Art for Auction Fundraiser, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC
- November 4-30, 2011 -Man as Object: Reversing the Gaze, National Juried Show at SOMArts, San Francisco, CA
- October 4-28, 2011 – Exchange Gallery Solo Show, Visual Art Exchange, Raleigh, NC
- August 30-November 6, 2011 – Dining with Frank , Juried Show, Frank Art Gallery, Chapel Hill, NC
- July 5- August 27, 2011 – Black & White, Juried Show, Frank Art Gallery, Chapel Hill, NC
- May 21, 2011 -Juried Auction, N C Museum of Art, Art for Auction Fundraiser, Raleigh, NC
- April 1-30, 2011 – Unfettered, Juried National Show, Awarded First Place. Visual Art Exchange, Raleigh NC
- March 6-27 2011- Influences, 2 person show. Horace Williams House, Chapel Hill, NC
- May 1-30 2010- WomanMade Juried Art Exhibition. The Target Gallery, Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA
- March-April 2010- Through Women’s Eyes, by Women’s Hands, Juried Art Exhibition. The Women’s Center, Chapel Hill, NC
- January-May 2010- Handcrafted: A Juried Exhibition of Ceramics,Fiber, Glass, Metal, Wood. The Rocky Mount Arts Center, Rocky Mount, NC
- January-February 2010 The Second Annual Surreal Salon, Baton Rouge Gallery Center for Contemporary Art, Baton Rouge, LA
- November 2009-January 2010, 55th Annual Juried Show, Durham Art Guild, Durham, NC
- September-November 2009, North Carolina Botanical Garden 21st Annual Juried Show “Sculpture In The Garden” Chapel Hill, NC
- March-April 2009 Through Women’s Eyes, By Women’s Hands, The Women’s Center Invitational Show, Chapel Hill, NC
- October 2008 Penland Show, Hager Smith Design, PA, Raleigh, NC
- Summer 2008, Durham Art Guild Members Show, Durham,NC
- October 2007, Durham Art Guild’s 53rd Annual Juried Art Show, Durham, NC. Juror, Barkley Hendricks.
- October 2007, The Anti-War Medals Show, 140 Artists Respond to War. Thomas Mann Gallery, New Orleans, LA
- September 2007, North Carolina Botanical Garden 20th Annual Juried Show, Sculpture In The Garden, Chapel Hill, NC
- April 2007, Solo Show, Durham Art Guild, Durham, NC. Juror, Judy Chicago
- April 2007, Rocky Mount Arts Center 50th Annual National Juried Art Exhibition, Honorable Mention, Juror, Juan Logan. Rocky Mount, NC.
- March 2007, Raleigh Fine Arts Society Juried Show, Honorable Mention. Raleigh, NC
- March 2007, Through Women’s Eyes, by Women’s Hands, invitational show, The Women’s Center, Chapel Hill, NC
- March 2007, Small Works, invitational show, Craven Allen Gallery, Durham, NC
- January 2007, Handcrafted: A Juried Exhibition of Ceramics, Fiber, Glass, Metal, Wood. The Rocky Mount Arts Center, Rocky Mount, NC. Juror, Bob Ebendorf.
- December 2006, Fine Contemporary Crafts, National Juried Exhibition, Artspace, Raleigh, NC. Juror, Susan Brandeis.
- December 2006, Invitational Winter Show, Green Hill Center for North Carolina Art, Greensboro, NC.
- November 2006, Durham Art Guild’s 52nd Annual Juried Art Show, Durham, NC. Juror, Petah Coyne.
- October 2006, Southeastern Juried Exhibition 2006, Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, Alabama.
- April 2006, New Southern Gothic, 3 person show, Craven Allen Gallery, Durham, NC
- November 2005, Durham Art Guild’s 51st Annual Juried Art Show. Second Place and Solo Show Award. Juror, Judy Chicago
- March 2005, 34th Annual Juried Exhibition: Discovering Contemporary Art in the Carolinas, Fayetteville Museum of Art, Fayetteville, NC
- February 2005, 21st. Annual Womens’ Center Show Through Womens’ Eyes, By Womens’ Hands in Chapel Hill NC. Received Flying Colors Award (Best in Show)
- March 2004, The Triangle’s Best Art, a juried competition, Part Two, Lee Hansley Gallery, Raleigh, NC.
- February 2004, 20th. Annual Womens’ Center Show, Through Womens’ Eyes, by Womens’ Hands. Sheraton Hotel, Chapel Hill, NC
- February 2003, 19th. Annual Women Center Show, Through Womens’ Eyes, by Womens’ Hands. Sheraton Hotel, Chapel Hill, NC
Recent awards: Awarded a 2010 Emerging Artists Grant by the Durham Arts Council
Recent publications: Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings, Jean Campbell (Author) Cover image and 2 projects included.
Metalsmith magazine’s Exhibition in Print, “Gothic Jewelry: Sinister Pleasures” August 2012